I realized the other day that I am moving into the last third of my life and I need a new game plan. If I wanted to move tomorrow I have TOO MUCH STUFF!! So, as a professional organizer it was time to take my own advice and start to downsize my life from my four bedroom home into a smaller footprint with much less stuff. And for me I was totally energized to start getting rid of my stuff. Here’s my initial plan:
- Meet with my financial planner and figure when I’m going to retire. What are the assets do I have to work with when I retire. How can I make my money work for me?
- Meet with my real estate agent and see if its a good time sell, You know the market is red hot right now.
- Start getting rid of stuff. Get some moving boxes and paper. Set a date for a garage sale.
- Game plan: Spend 10 minutes a day and clear something — my shoe rack, my dishes, my spice rack. Let me stop there. I packed up a box a dishes I haven’t used in years and I pulled out my beautiful china I use twice a year and started using that as my everyday. Novel idea! Somebody said, “what if you break something?” So what? I break it or I watch it gather dust….
- Spice rack – Have you looked at your spice expiration dates lately? I had baking soda from 2007. You know the big one you buy from Costco that I’m never going to finish.
- Knick knacks: I’m planning a Releasing party just before my garage sale to giveaway some of my precious treasures to people I love. If no one wants them in the garage sale they go.
Next Step: Do I sell or rent my home? And what do I need to do to be ready?